Operation Oculus Apertor is a pioneering project aimed at comprehensively assessing and improving the psychological and biological health of combat veterans. This month-long program integrates team-building exercises and scuba diving training, specifically Open Water and Advanced Open Water courses, as a holistic approach to enhancing the well being of participants. Throughout the program, extensive data on participants’ psychological state, biological markers, and sleep patterns will be collected for in-depth statistical analysis.
The project is a comprehensive initiative designed to first and foremost address and alleviate the adverse effects of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and provide statistical data for further analysis. The program will carefully select intakes of five individuals who have served in combat roles with 5 rigorously assessed and categorized distinct grades of PTSD severity prior to their arrival at the training location. This program will begin with a pilot month operating out of Utila, Honduras and select veterans from the Americas, Europe and APAC regions.
Following the pilot month we will then modify the program where necessary after conducting a company and sponsor wide analysis and then expand the program for 180 combat veterans to operate for 12 months out of 3 specially selected training locations which currently have been identified as:
- Americas – UDC located in Utila, Honduras
- APAC – KTD located in Koh Tao, Thailand
- Europe – To be determined, considering Malta as location
- Holistic Health Improvement: The project’s primary goal is to enhance the overall health and well being of combat veterans by combining physical activity (scuba diving training), team-building exercises, and a supportive environment.
- Data Collection: Comprehensive data collection on various parameters such as heart rate variability, sleep patterns, mental health assessments (including stress levels and mood fluctuations), and physical health markers will be conducted throughout the month-long program.
- Statistical Analysis: The collected data will undergo rigorous statistical analysis to identify correlations, trends, and potential causal relationships between the participants’ psychological state, biological markers, and their engagement in the scuba diving training and team-building activities.
- Team Building: Various team-building exercises, workshops, and group activities will be conducted to foster camaraderie, trust, and support among the participants, instructors and hosts.
- Scuba Diving Training: Participants will undergo structured Open Water and Advanced Open Water scuba diving courses. Scuba diving serves as both a physically demanding and mentally engaging activity, promoting relaxation, focus, and a sense of accomplishment.
- Data Collection Methods: Wearable devices and psychological assessments will continuously monitor participants’ heart rate, sleep patterns, stress levels, and overall mental health throughout the program.
- Professional Guidance: Experienced instructors, psychologists, and healthcare professionals specializing in mental health and bio metrics will oversee the program to ensure participant safety and accurate data collection.
- Improved Health and Well being: By engaging in scuba diving and team-building activities, participants are expected to experience reduced stress levels, improved sleep quality, enhanced mood, and a sense of accomplishment.
- Insightful Data Analysis: The statistical analysis of the collected data will provide valuable insights into the interplay between physical activities, mental health, and biological markers among combat veterans.
- Potential for Future Interventions: Findings from this project can guide future interventions and programs aimed at improving the overall health and quality of life for combat veterans.
- Assessment Phase: Before the program commences, participants undergo meticulous psychological evaluations to ascertain their PTSD severity, ensuring a tailored approach to their treatment.
- Therapeutic Team Building: Various team-building exercises, group therapy sessions, and guided discussions are incorporated to foster camaraderie, trust, and mutual support among participants.
- Rehabilitation through Scuba Diving: The core of the program involves team-based activities and scuba diving training, encompassing Open Water and Advanced Open Water courses. Scuba diving is chosen as it offers therapeutic benefits, aiding in stress reduction, mindfulness, and promoting a sense of calm and control.
- Data Collection: Throughout the month-long program, participants’ physiological responses, including heart rate variability, sleep patterns, and mental health metrics, are continuously monitored and recorded using cutting-edge technology and specialized assessments.
- Post-Program Statistical Analysis: The collected psychological and biological data will be subjected to rigorous statistical analysis. This analysis aims to uncover correlations, trends, and patterns that can offer insights into the efficacy of the program in alleviating PTSD symptoms.
Goals and Outcomes
- Enhanced Well-being: The project seeks to improve the mental health and overall well-being of the participants through a holistic approach that integrates physical activity, camaraderie, and therapeutic interventions.
- Scientific Contributions: By collecting comprehensive data, the project aims to contribute significantly to the scientific understanding of how specific interventions, such as scuba diving and team-building activities, impact individuals with varying degrees of PTSD severity.
- Tailored Interventions: Insights derived from the statistical analysis will inform future PTSD rehabilitation programs, enabling more personalized and effective treatments for combat veterans.
This Combat Veteran Health and Well being Initiative utilizes a multifaceted approach, combining physical activity, teamwork, and data-driven analysis to address the holistic needs of combat veterans. By focusing on the symbiotic relationship between physical and psychological health, this project aims to contribute valuable insights for improving the overall well being of individuals who have served in combat roles. This is a pioneering endeavor that not only endeavors to provide relief and support to combat veterans grappling with PTSD but also aims to advance the scientific knowledge surrounding PTSD rehabilitation methodologies. Through a combination of cutting-edge data collection and immersive therapeutic activities, this initiative aspires to make a lasting positive impact on the lives of those who have bravely served their country.